Gallery: Catalog: Details
[Pre-Fire Imprint] N.P. Iglehart & Co., Map of Chicago and its Southern & Western Suburbs. Chicago, 1854. Map 21¼ x 16 within printed borders 27 x 19½. Supertitle: Chicago. Land-Office of N.P. Iglehart & Co. Small, but apparently original margins. Uncolored except for one road colored in blue. A few edge tears; minor separations at upper fold. Slight residue verso from previous mounting. Remnants of a tab verso indicate the map was folded into a book or pamphlet at one time. Rare. SOLD
The map extends from Lake Michigan west to what would become Pulaski Road, and south from Fullerton to today's 87th Street. A hand points to a statement "A large amount of Property – in the City & Vicinity - / for Sale by N.P. Iglehart & Co. / Chicago, Ill. / 1854." Railroads, roads, canals and the Chicago River are denoted. A table shows growth of population from 1840 to 1853.
A blue line runs southwest from Harrison Street to near the Illinois-Michigan Canal and then south along Plank Road and Blue Island Avenue (the southern extensions of Western Avenue) to the "Head of Blue Island."
Nicholas P. Iglehart was a Chicago real estate agent (he had previously been a pork packer and then a miller in Cincinnati) who published several real estate maps in the 1850s, all of which are now rare. Iglehart was involved in several legal disputes. In two cases it was alleged he sold property of others without authority and had not paid proceeds to the owners – including the minor children of the late Senator Stephen A. Douglas.
How to place an order and shipping details.